Search This Blog

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Come and Get It (And Die in the Process)

Ever seen a good girl gone bad?

Oh yes. If you know anything about the media, you know a lot of girls who have 'gone bad.' Girls in Hollywood, always start out clean, smiley, and happy. "How can this girl do anything wrong?" you ask yourself after two weeks of finding out about this person, but then....

Two years later, okay maybe three, or four, (it's a process) rumors start to come out about them doing bad things. Then, they start to act a little differently. Suddenly, you hear about something terrible that they did. And they apologize. Just when you think things are going to be okay... they do something else and you're asking yourself....
"WHAT HAPPENED TO HER?"

Actually, it's not all girls. In fact, mostly everyone who plays the fame game ends up going bad. Examples? Mmm.... Katy Perry, Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus. Oh, of course, the heartbreaker, Justin Bieber.

And now, to join the list, in my opinion, Justin Bieber's ex-girlfriend... or is it girlfriend? Sorry, it's so hard to keep up with their relationship these days.

Selena Gomez started out as a smiling, happy girl on Disney Channel, starring on Wizards of Waverly Places. She stared in 3 movies before getting a part in a mild, romantic comedy,  called Monte Carlo. During all that, she started dating Justin Bieber, which lead to more attention and death threats. Then, she got a lead role in a R rated movie, called Spring Breakers. In the movie, she's running around in binkis, but she admitted she didn't care.

Now, she has released her newest single, without her band The Scene. 'Come and Get it' is a song which has a somewhat out-of-the-country feeling to it. (I'm not sure which country. Probably India or Jamaica?)  It was leaked and then released. Since then, the song has become quite popular. Gomez ended up performing it at the big awards shows, including The MTV Movie Awards and the Billboard Music Awards.

After a short repeat of the chours, the first verse begins. "You ain't gotta worry/It's an open invitation/I'll be sitting right here real patience." When it comes to love, patience is good, but is this invation good?

Of course, Miss Gomez must mention something about doing things in night. Why? Because she is simply addicted to the love that this person gives her and I'm not even sure if she wants to be addicted. "All day/All night... I can't stop because I love it/Hate the way I love you... Baby, I'm addicted/For life/No lie."

First of all, there's a difference between simply being  obsessed over something or being addicted to something. Obsession is a strong like or love for something. Like maybe you're obsessed with music... or more specially, if you're one of my blogging friends who I haven't met in person, you might be obsessed with One Direction. Of course, there are great obsessions, like being obsessed with Jesus. As long as you have your priorities straight, obsessions can be a good thing. That depends on what you're obsessed with.

An addict is different. Usually, you have a addiction because it makes you feel good, for your own personal benefits. But an addiction to anything isn't good. You're constantly thinking about that one thing and if you're in the addiction because you want to be happy, you're usually just thinking about yourself. Though I've never been addicted to anything, I know for a fact that any addiction can hurt, damage, and ruin relationships. Furthermore, it can ruin your life. Because Gomez uses the word 'addict' instead of 'obsessed', this is more than a healthy relationship.

"I'm not too shy to show I love you/I got no regrets/I love much to hide you/This love ain't finished yet," she sings while eerie sounds echo in the background. "Baby, whenever you're ready/When you're ready come and get it."

So even though she's 'addicted' to this love, she is willing to wait for it. That's a good virtue that I don't see a lot. "Love is patient," says 1st Corinthians 13. Without patience, we can't really love as well as we'd like to.

"You're got the kind of love that I want/Let me get that/And, baby once I get it/I'm yours/No take backs." She sings more positive lyrics of being dedicated to her lover. "Gonna love you for life/I ain't leaving your side." This is a unstoppable love we find out as she sings, "Even if you knock it/Ain't way to stop it."

Now, later, the most interesting lyrics in this song comes. "This love will be the death of me/But I know I'll die happily... because you love me so."

Die physically? Or die to self? Though I am not sure, I can definitely tell this love is changing her.

In a way, that's somewhat like God's love. God's love is the death of us. His forgiveness and sacrifice kills our sinful desires. Not our lives, but ourselves. In order to live for Christ, we have to die to ourselves. And why would we want to live for Christ? Because he died for us and loves us. But you have to get one thing straight. There is only one love that can do that. There is only one love that make us die to ourselves. Sure, love makes us feel good and it does change us. But only God can make us die to ourselves.

While this song encourages committing yourself to one person and talks about the power of love in a positive way, there's something about it that isn't pure. Selena invites her lover to 'come and get it', but what is 'it'? Since she never says what exactly it is, I can't be sure that this is a pure song.

Also, the music video is very suggestive. In it, Selena is multiple places, including underwater at one point. During this, she places her hands all over a man's face as they are nose to nose. Also, though a lot of it, she does a very suggestive dance with a other women who are wearing foreign-looking clothes that show a lot of skin. (Mostly, the other women, not her) I finally got sick of it and turned it off.

So while this song is a lot better than I expected, I have to remember that only one love is satisfying. And addictions... they never satisfy you. Love can change you, but only God can make you die you yourself. If you are obsessed and even addicted to love, please remember that only God's love can completely change you for the better. You can 'get' God's love, but you must be willing to die in process.


Rating: 3 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment