Search This Blog

Monday, September 23, 2013

Music Review Monday #3 (Atlas)


I was originally going to review a Katy Perry song, but I've been talking about her a little too much lately. So I decided about two seconds ago to review a lead single to a soundtrack, Catching Fire. This song is 'Atlas' by Coldplay.

Catching Fire, the second book to the Hunger Games Series (which I am obsessed with these days). The movie is coming on this November:)

Coldplay, which I really wasn't familiar with until I noticed that the lead song from the soundtrack had been released, is a British rock band that was formed in 1996. Compared to all the stars I listen to, they are very old. The song is talking about the relationship between the book's hero and heroine, Katniss and Peeta.

Okay, I would like to say, that I read the Hunger Games books this year. At first I wasn't sure about them, but soon, after finally reading the Mocking Jay, the final book, I realized I was a Hunger Game freak! The books are so good and I love going back to them and reading the parts again, and never get tired of it. That's  something I love and look for in books. The emotion, the love, and the intensity of these books are amazing!

Okay, I had to say that. Now onto the song. It is a slow, haunting tune, which according to the lyrics, is a promise between two friends to protect each other. But also, it sounds like a cry out for guidance to... God?

Right away, the lyrics are influenced by the book."Some saw the sun," the lead singer begins. "Some saw the smoke/Some heard the gun/Some bent the bow." The violent, and cruel world is present here in this song, like 'Safe and Sound', the lead single of the first movie.

The bridge speaks of the rebellion plot in the book. "Sometimes the wire must tense for a note/Catching in the fire, oh/We are about to explode."

The promise to love and protect is in the chorus. "Carry your world/I'll carry your world." The second verse talks about many people's love for fame and adventure. "Some search for gold/Some dragons to slay."

Crying out for help, the song mentions God and Heaven, though neither is mentioned in any of the books. "Heaven we hope is just down the road/Show me the way, Lord/'Cuz I am about to explode."

The song, though doesn't have many lyrics, says a great deal of words. The connection to the book, its plot and the relationship between the two main characters, is clear. (Well, if you've read the book and seen the movie) Through it, though, Katniss and Peeta do 'carry each other's world.' Katniss by protecting Peeta's life and Peeta by protecting and comforting her heart when their world falls apart around them.

I was quite surprised to see a cry to God for guidance, since, the book, though many people die, never mentions afterlife or God. One of the few things I disliked about the books was how many characters died. But the funny thing, expect for maybe one of Katniss' dreams, no one even spoke about what would happen after death.

Though the book doesn't mention God, this song does. I'm glad it did. I've always adored the relationship between Katniss and Peeta with all my heart. This song, though doesn't involve a catchy beat or killer vocals, is beautiful. The promise and cry out to God gives us a lesson the book fails to give.

If I really like a song I'm going to post it, so here it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment