Search This Blog

Thursday, August 22, 2013

From 'Meow' to ROAR!

It's been about a year since we've heard from Katy Perry when she released Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection. In her hit album, Teenage Dream, she sings
about running away with a guy, girls with binkies, fireworks, and a supernatural relationship. Though the album was explicit, sexy, and used one too many cuss words, she ended it on a good note with her moving on song, 'Wide Awake.' After her divorce, she also released a 3D movie.

Now if you are Katy Perry fan, or if you just know a little about her style, you know that she is a candy girl. (See pic)Though her hair is naturally colored black, her hair is often colored, blue, pink and purple.

But that little stunt is over.

With the release of her lead single, 'Roar', she has released four teasers. One showed her burning her blue wig. Another took place at a cemetery where they supposedly buried the old her. The third showed a cat, meowing. He eats something black, then roars. At first, I thought these teasers were a good sign. Maybe she would go back to the way thing were before with her debut Christian album. Then I came to realize that though Katy is weird, at least she is weird in a candy, innocent sort of way. Since she's putting all that behind her, what would become of her now?

She is a cat girl. Her super fans are called 'Katy Cats'. But now, she isn't a cat anymore.
If you haven't guessed it by now, she's a tiger.

'Roar's shows a new side to Katy. It is full of girl power and triumph. Letting people push her around is not a option anymore. Staying in the depths of despair is not longer doable. "I wrote it because I was sick of keeping these feelings inside and not speaking up for myself, which caused a lot of resentment," Miss Perry says, on writing this song.

Starting off, she speaks of the old her. "I used to bite my tongue and hold my breath/Scared to rock the boat and make a mess/I stood for nothing/And feel for everything."

As the song gets faster, she tells the pusher that she will no longer put up with it. "You held me down/But I got up/Get ready cause I've had enough."

What is she going to do now?

Roar! "I got the eye of the tiger/Dancing through the fire/Cause I am champion/And you're gonna hear me Roar/Louder than the than the lion." Though she is softer now, she still has a fierce side. "Now I'm floating like a butterfly/Stinging like a bee/I earned my stripes/I went from zero/To my own hero." Katy has no intention of being merciful either. "You hear my voice/You hear my sound/Like thunder, I'm gonna shake your ground."

When I first heard this song, I was delightfully surprised. Maybe this song doesn't provide the best message, it is really good for Katy! Though I've never been a huge fan because of her inappropriate music, I did enjoy some songs. This is way better than the lead single for Teenage Dream, 'California Gurls',

Through the years, Katy has been through a lot. She started out a Christian artist, but since she has gone astray. I had hopped that her divorce had perhaps woken her up.  When I heard 'Wide Awake', I was hopeful. Then I heard that she said, "My music's about to get f---ing dark."

This song isn't dark, but I pray that the rest of her album, Prism, isn't. 'Roar' talks about girls. Think about this. When a guy ticks another guy off, the another guy beats him up and it's over with. On the other hand, girls can be mad for months. They don't punch. They talk and their words leave a mark. We're emotional people and we when we 'roar', we can hurt people more than guys do. Physical scars don't hurt, but emotional ones definitely do.

Though 'Roar' is pretty clean and its triumphant message is encouraging, when I put it that way, it isn't the best message.

No comments:

Post a Comment